Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lent

This year has been all about listening to the direction in which God is pointing me. The most recent journey is centered around Lent. Now Lent is something that most associate with Catholicism. Originally Lent was practiced by early Christians as a way to prepare for Easter. As I began to dig into this practice even further I started to realize that there is great significance in following some of the principals of Lent. I purchased a wooden Advent Wreath that can also be used for the 40 days of Lent. Then I brought the idea to my girls. So now our girls CORE group is working on preparing our hearts for Easter. Preparing ourselves to be completely open and raw and focused in on the Gospel. Each of us prayed about what we should give up as a sacrifice for Him. I gave up pop and Facebook. The journey has been worth it so far. We have three parts of our journey, three Biblical principals we are following as we strive to draw ever closer to our Savior. 1) Fasting: Give up something for God. Fasting is not a means to "earn" something from God, but rather a way to learn to curb your appetites and focus more completely on God. 2) Prayer and Meditation: Read over the Gospel accounts of Christ's arrest, trial, and crucifixion. Reflect on His suffering, and the tremendous love that is represents. Reflect on your own sin and what it cost Him. 3) Giving to the poor: Use the money that you save by not eating to help the poor. For more information: http://reflections.cyberpastor.net/bible/what-is-lent/

On my first day I decided to start reading in Romans Ch1. What I found there just further solidified this journey. v.1 states, "Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the Gospel of God." As a follower of Christ my life is set apart for the Gospel. I am saved by the Gospel. The Gospel is a vital part of who I am. v.9 says, "For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son." My service to God happens in the Gospel. To serve Him without the Gospel is pointless. Then in v.15 "So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome." Every chance I get I should be sharing the Gospel with both those who know Christ and those who don't. Eagerly sharing the truth within the Gospel. Next v.16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel" There is no shame in the Gospel. I should not ever shy away from the Gospel or from sharing it.

As I go through this journey I pray that I will draw ever closer to God through the Gospel and the gift His Son gave by dying on the cross for my sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment