Monday, January 23, 2012

Hold Fast

Have you ever had one of those days that made you just scratch your head and wonder why? That was my day today. Today was by no means fun. I was 'asked' to take a leave of absence from work. Thank you bipolar. Today I hate you. Why God? What good could this possibly be doing in my life? Then I think back to my yesterday. So while I'm currently scratching my head I am trusting none the less. Let me explain.

Yesterday morning I sat through a great church service that reminded me to Hold Fast to the Gospel and what I know to be true. To know it so deeply that I wouldn't ever think of letting go. This is found in Hebrews 10:23 "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful." God has promised us so much that founded on the Gospel. My thoughts are racing a million miles per hour so let me try and get this out right. Romans 8:32 states "He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" God withheld nothing by sending his only Son to die for us and allow us the opportunity to have a relationship with Him. If He withheld nothing to provide us with the Gospel, why would He now withhold something? He wouldn't. He won't. He doesn't. So I just need to hold fast.

Last night there was another amazing lesson, this time focused on the hard stuff in life. I thought that what I was going through last night was tough. Today was worse, but my perspective was different. Why? Because of what is in James 1: 2-11. Three things that were talked about piggy back on the concept of Holding Fast perfectly. God cares about our suffering, He gave us his word here to explain how we're to cope with it. The first things He tells us is that we need to ask for Wisdom. (v.5) "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." It's ok for me to ask God why? Why am I going through this now? What is the purpose? What am I supposed to be learning? What am I supposed to do?

Next thing that I need is faith. (v.6) "But let him ask in faith, with no doubting..." I need to have faith in what God is doing. Remember the Romans 8:32 verse from above? Why would I doubt anything when God has already given everything? I shouldn't. Not if I'm Holding Fast to the truth of the Gospel and the peace that it brings through faith.

The last thing we need is perspective (v.9&10) "Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away." Our ways are most definitely not God's ways. So my perspective is not going to be God's perspective on the situation. I have to change my way of looking at things to align with His way.

So now that I've vented, I don't feel like I'm scratching my head quite as much. I'm more or less spent and ready for a nap. I'm ready to Hold Fast as I seek Wisdom by Faith and accept a change in Perspective. So whatever your journey may be, Hold Fast dear friend, Hold Fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment