Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Labels

Labels. Why do we have them? What is the purpose? Is it really even necessary? I think it depends on the type of label. For a street sign, yes, otherwise we'll not know which direction to go. For medicine, vital, or we could end up taking the wrong thing in the wrong amount to our own demise. For canned food, maybe. It could make for some interesting meals (I urge you to try it if you never have, remove several labels, mix them around and then leave them for a week. Go back and try using one can of whatever you open one night for dinner).  For people, no.

I was reminded of the label that some are giving me since I have been diagnosed as bipolar II. In reality it is a small handful of people that are aware of the label and they are the only ones giving me that label. Truthfully, it hurts. I want you to really think about it. Is there one word that encompasses your entire being in every aspect of who you are? Just one word that sums it all up? Maybe we can narrow it down to two or three words, but one? I don't think so, and I also believe we need to stop placing those labels on ourselves and on others.

Often we are hurt by the labels others put upon us, but I must say I have put several of them on myself. None of the ones I have given myself are flattering. Why do we do this? Focus on the negative aspects of who we are? God created each of us perfectly to be the individuals that we are. That includes the good and not so good parts. There is a purpose for it all. Mostly so that His glory will shine as He does the impossible through us. I love that He GAVE me all the quirks that I have just so that I can be DIFFERENT. Why? Because it is FOR HIM! That is a blessing and a gift. Not something to be ashamed of.

I know that I've said it before, but please embrace your beautiful self for who you are. Ignore the lies of this world. You ARE beautiful. You ARE wonderful. You ARE loved.

Holding Fast,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment